Passion, Power, and Intrigue in An Enduring Family Drama

Monday, September 30, 2013

Solving Crimes Can Be Romantic

After a painful divorce following his affair with Mavis Schuyler, Peter Van Husen has turned over a new leaf. He's no longer interested in being a cheat and a louse. Instead he wants to be a truly good person and is determined that the next woman he becomes involves with will also be the last. While having coffee with Mindy Cooper, Peter is beginning to wonder if Mindy might not be the right woman for him for the long haul...

"You're staring at me," Mindy commented, looking at Peter over the top of her coffee cup. "It's making me nervous."

"What? I'm sorry. I was just thinking how pretty you are. I can see why your former boss was interested in you."

Mindy rolled her eyes. "Thank you but what does that have to do with figuring out who killed Fritz Weiss?"

"Nothing. I'm just saying."

"Well, please don't. It makes me nervous. Now let's get back to the case. The police department honestly only has Bernard Morton as a suspect?"

"No one thinks they need any one else. Bernard is the only one who seemed to have it in for Fritz."

"I don't know..." Mindy suddenly snapped her fingers. "I just remembered something! Fritz has an ex-wife--he told me about her once. It didn't sound like they had a very good divorce."

"Who ever has a 'good divorce?'"

"Some people manage it. Now tell me about Fritz's wife. Do you know if she lives in Schuyler Square?"

Mindy frowned. "I'm not sure. I think she lives in Black River.He told me that she runs some kind of bar there. Her name was Heidi, I think."

"This is great, Mindy. It's a lot more than we've had to go on before. Do you know if they were in touch?"

"No. Like I said, he only mentioned her once and his face got all red when he talked about her--not because he was embarrassed but because he was mad. I think she wanted money. It was during the Fat Off thing and Fritz thought he was going to make a bazillion dollars. Heidi must have heard about it."

Peter looked at his watch. "How do you feel about running over to Black River for a drink?"

"Now? It's a little early, isn't it?"

"We can have dinner first and then a drink. I'd like to check this Heidi out."

Mindy eyed Peter with suspicion. "Is this a date or are we still working on the case."

Peter flashed the smile at her that turned him into a dead ringer for a young Robert Redford. "Let's call it a working date, Mindy. If that's okay with you."

Slowly Mindy returned his smile. "Actually, I think that's just fine with me. Provided you take me home right afterwards. I have work tomorrow."

The front door of the coffee shop opened and the expression on Peter's face froze. Mavis Schulyer entered, the look on her patrician face determined.

No comments:

Post a Comment