Passion, Power, and Intrigue in An Enduring Family Drama

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Pampered is Good

Brad Schuyler returned to his hometown of Schuyler Square to reclaim his spot as heir to the Schuyler fortune. Following closely on his heels was his girlfriend, Claudine. Although Claudine claims not to be interested in anything remotely materialistic, life in Schuyler Manor has made her realize that pampered isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

"I can't believe this. You want me to work for my mother? What about your plan that we buy a farm and grow organic raspberries?" Brad Schuyler stared at his girlfriend, transfixed as always by Claudine's commanding nature and take charge attitude. She was so calm about everything, so sure she knew the right answer to every problem. Brad was more in love with her than he'd ever imagined possible.

"It makes sense, Brad," Claudine replied. "You are going to inherit the business some day, aren't you?"

"Well, sure, with Tyler."

Claudine's eyes brightened. "Then you should know how to run things."

"Honey, I do know how to run the business. I worked there for years before I left. Frankly, it's boring and when I do inherit it I plan to sell everything and use the money to buy that farm we were talking about. I want to do something honest with my life, something that matters. I thought that's what you wanted to do too."

"Running Schuyler Industries would probably contribute a lot more to society than growing wizened raspberries and selling them at Farmer's Markets in the tri-county area. Just think of the power that you and Tyler will have--and the money!"

"I didn't think power and money mattered to you."

Claudine quickly backpedaled. "They don't--except when people use them properly and I know that you and Tyler would do that. Besides, I might like to work for the company as well."

Brad frowned. "As what?"

"I'm not sure yet. Perhaps I could do some job shadowing. What's Tyler working at these days?"

"Mom put him in hr."

"HR?"

"Human Resources. You know, insurance and all that crap. Personnel."

"I've always wanted to work in personnel," Claudine said thoughtfully.

"Since when?"

"Since forever. We really don't know each other too well, Brad. Maybe if we all work at Schuyler Industries we'll be able to learn a lot more about how we all tick. Do you think you could arrange it for me to start shadowing Tyler tomorrow?"

"I guess so--"

"Perfect!" Claudine kissed Brad hastily. "I've got to run. I'm getting a pedi and a mani this morning plus I've got an appointment for highlights."

"You're kidding me! You've never done anything like that before."

Claudine smiled. "That's because I never knew how good it felt to have money before. See you later, Brad."

Leaving Schuyler Manor with Brad's credit card tucked in her purse, Claudine smiled a little sadly. Brad was a dear and she was going to hate breaking his heart but it was Tyler Schuyler who got her motor running and she planned on doing something about that in the very near future. Starting tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment