Passion, Power, and Intrigue in An Enduring Family Drama

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Some People Handle Rejection Much Better Than Other People

Although Mavis Schuyler broke up with Peter Van Husen over a year ago, she can't deny that every time she sees the handsome police officer her heart beats a little faster. To discover him with Mindy Cooper, one of her least favorite people, does more than make her heart beats faster. It makes Mavis want to show Mindy that Mindy will never, ever be in Mavis' league...

"Peter! What are you doing here?"

Half rising, Peter smiled politely at the woman who had pretty much helped him royally screw up his life. "Hello, Mavis."

Striding across the small coffee shop, Mavis pulled out a chair and sat down at the table where Peter and Mindy were having coffee. "How have you been?" she asked, focusing on Peter and ignoring Mindy. "I suppose you're busy working on that dreary little murder case."

"That's just what Mindy and I were doing," Peter replied. "I hope you don't mind but we were just about to leave."

"Surely you have a few minutes to chat," Mavis insisted. "I wanted to speak to you professionally."

"Would you like me to leave?" Mindy politely asked.

Finally, Mavis glanced across the table. "Yes, that would be nice," she said. "I wouldn't want what I'm about to say to ended up in the Schuyler Square Times."

"I'm sure Mindy wouldn't do that," Peter began but Mindy interrupted him. "It's all right, Peter. I'll wait for you outside. Lovely seeing you again, Mavis."

Mavis glared in response. As soon as Mindy was gone, Mavis shook her head. "That woman! She broke Tyler's heart to marry Bernard Morton and then she dropped him for absolutely no good reason. I'll never know what men see in someone like her--she's so average. I hope you aren't getting drawn into her web, Peter. You deserve better." Placing a ringed hand on his knee she squeezed lightly. "Much, much better."

Uncomfortably, Peter pulled his leg out from under her grasp. "What was it you wanted to talk about, Mavis?"

"I need your help gathering information on this woman my other son is dating. I don't have any hard evidence but I think she might be some kind of an escaped convict. There's something extremely fishy about her."

"Mavis, I don't do that kind of work. You need to hire a private detective."

"But I couldn't trust anyone the way I trust you." Mavis leaned forward and blinked seductively into Peter's face. "You're the most trustworthy man I've ever known."

Peter looked uncomfortable. "I'm sorry, Mavis, but I'm not the man you want. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get going. Mindy's waiting for me."

Mavis returned her hand to Peter's knee and squeezed hard. "Actually, Peter, you're exactly the man I want. Still. What do you think?"

Peter swallowed hard. "I think I want to get out of here. Now." Without another word he bolted from the coffee shop leaving a surprised Mavis behind.

"Well, well, well," Mavis chuckled to herself. "It looks like that crush Peter had on me last year hasn't gone away. I'll just have to use that to my advantage." With a little luck she could have some more fun with Peter and get that annoying Claudine out of her life once and for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment