Passion, Power, and Intrigue in An Enduring Family Drama

Monday, October 21, 2013

Whodunnit?

The murder of Fritz Weiss has remained unsolved in Schuyler Square. Although Fritz didn't have many friends, he also didn't seem to have any enemies. Why someone would want to kill the mild mannered scientist is a mystery that will turn out to be linked to a much bigger puzzle...

"I think we've been barking up the wrong tree," Mindy Cooper announced. She was driving back to Schuyler Square with Peter Van Husen after a completely unproductive meeting with Fritz's ex-wife. "No one killed Fritz because of passion."

Peter glanced over at her with interest. "How do you know that?"

"Because I used to work with Fritz. The man had absolutely no passion in him. He was practically bloodless."

"What's your point?"

"We've been thinking that someone wanted to get rid of Fritz because of love gone wrong. Isn't that why we visited his ex-wife? Wasn't she a suspect?"

Peter laughed. "No, we wanted to see if she knew of anyone who wanted to kill him. My money is still on your ex-fiance. I think Bernard Morton got rid of Fritz because of that whole Fat Off mess and that wouldn't be a crime of passion. That was all about ego and bucks. Plenty of bucks."

"That makes no sense. Bernard and Fritz were partners. Besides, Bernard doesn't like to get his hands dirty. He'd never kill anyone. All he had to do was fire Bernard."

"Maybe Fritz knew too much. Maybe Bernard felt like he didn't have any choice."

"I still don't think he's the type to commit murder," Mindy replied. "I think Mavis Schuyler is a far more likely suspect."

"Mavis? She's definitely not the type to commit murder! Besides, she doesn't have a motive."

Mindy experienced a flash of jealousy. Was it possible that Peter was still in love with Mavis? No way. She couldn't figure out how he'd ever been involved with her in the first place. Peter was handsome, smart and decent. Mavis was...blech.

They reached Mindy's apartment. The lights were on so Mindy knew that her sister Sandi was home. Too bad; she had hoped to invite Peter up for a nightcap. "Well," she said, not wanting the evening to end, "thanks for bringing me along tonight. It's too bad it was a dead end."

"Are you still interested in helping me figure this whole thing out?"

"Of course I am! What's our next move?"

"You might not like it," Peter warned.

"What? I'll go along with anything to figure out who killed Fritz. It really bothers me to think that there's a murderer walking around Schuyler Square."

"You're going to need to reestablish a relationship with Bernard. Maybe he'll open up to you."

Mindy shook her head. "I don't think that's possible. He's still furious with me for dumping him. Besides, I don't think I'd be able to pull it off since I really don't think he did it."

"Then how about your sister? Think she'd be willing to talk to Bernard?"

"Peter, you honestly think Bernard is involved in Fritz's murder?"

"I'd bet my pension on it."

"Then I'll ask Sandi. I'm sure she'll help you out. She's never been able to resist a man in uniform--or any other man for that matter. Come on up and we'll ask her right now. The sooner we solve this mystery, the better."

No comments:

Post a Comment