Passion, Power, and Intrigue in An Enduring Family Drama

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

That Paternity Question Just Won't Go Away

"I've made my first resolution of the new year," Veronica told her boyfriend, Tom Hartman. "No more New Year's Eve parties. Ever. I have a headache that won't quit."

Tom laughed. "You didn't have fun at the combination lottery-winners-chemical-company's-office-party year end bash?"

"Did you?"

"The food was good," Tom said, "and it was nice to see people dressed up but I have to say that I think it would have been nicer without the Kutrate Kemical crowd. I've never seen so many miserable looking employees in one room at the same time."

"The boss looked pretty happy," Veronica observed.

"Bosses generally do. I hear his company's doing very well. They always seem to be hiring."

"Maybe I should apply there. I'm getting a little tired of working for the Schuyler Corporation."

The doorbell interrupted their conversation. Getting to her feet, Veronica went to the front door. Pulling it open, she gasped. The tall, good-looking man from Russia was standing on her front steps. Vlad--the same man who might be her boyfriend's daughter's real father. "Hello," she said.

"Hello, Veronica. Is Tom here?" Veronica couldn't help but shiver over Vlad's sexy accent. She was pretty sure that she was in love with Tom, but she had to admit that there was something quite appealing about the man standing in front of her.

"What can I do for you?" Tom asked, joining them at the door.

"We need to settle this paternity business," Vlad informed him. "I need to know if Tiffany's my daughter. Now."

"Come in," Veronica suggested. "It's cold outside."

"No, I can't stay. I'm here to ask for your cooperation. I've had my blood test. I'd appreciate it if you'd bring Tiffany in to the lab for her test so we can settle this once and for all."

"What's the hurry?"

An odd look passed over Vlad's lean face. "I've run out of time," he said shortly. "Please help me."

"What do you mean, you've run out of time? Are you going back to Russia?"

Vlad shook his head. "No, it's not that. I don't want to get into it right now. Just please do this for me."

Veronica pressed her hand against Tom's arm. "Tom, wouldn't it be better to know once and for all?"

"I'll talk to Tiffany about it but I still don't see what the rush is."

"Talk to her," Vlad requested. "I'd like to know as soon as possible. There are certain things that must be attended to if she is my child. Thank you. Good bye." Turning, he vanished into the evening before Veronica or Tom could say another word.

"That was strange," Veronica said as she shut the kitchen door firmly. "What do you think is wrong?"

"He's probably being deported," Tom said shortly. He shook his head. "But he's right. We do need to settle Tiffany's paternity once and for all."


No comments:

Post a Comment