Passion, Power, and Intrigue in An Enduring Family Drama

Friday, January 24, 2014

A New Year in Schuyler Square

It's a new year in Schuyler Square but the murder of Fritz Weiss remains unsolved. As the case has grown cooler and cooler, interest in it has waned too. With a bitter winter on hand, the good people of Schuyler Square are more concerned with keeping warm than anything else...


"This winter sucks," Sandi Cooper announced to her sister Mindy. "I think I'm going to blow this pop stand and join Mom. Where is she now?"


Mindy looked up from the cup of hot chocolate she was holding in lame attempt to warm her freezing hands. The landlord turned the heat down to 60 degrees at ten o'clock each evening no matter what the temperature was outside. "I think she's in Florida right now at a Herman's Hermits reunion event."


"How does she afford to just travel?" Sandi asked. "It's not like she ever worked or anything. What is she living on?"


"Probably Dad's life insurance. She told me once that he took out a huge policy just in case he died while we were little and she needed to support us."


"So she's spending all that on chasing has been teen idols around the country." Sandi looked disgusted. "Pathetic. What we need to do is find a rich husband for each of us and then we won't have to sit in freezing apartments for the rest of our lives."


"Money isn't everything," Mindy remarked. "Look at me. I was engaged to Bernard, the wealthiest man I ever met, and I was miserable. I'd much rather marry someone for love."


"Someone like Peter Van Husen?" Sandi slyly suggested.


Mindy blushed. "Of course not but speaking of Officer Van Husen, how's the murder investigation going?"


"Oh, it's pretty much dead in the water. No one knows who killed that weird scientist and no one cares. I haven't talked to Peter about that in ages. Maybe you should call him up and see what's happening. You are supposed to be an investigative reporter."


"I'll let someone else on the paper handle it."


"Why? Are you avoiding Peter? You know, I think he has a big ol' crush on you. You should do something about that."


"You're being ridiculous. All I care about is finding out who killed Fritz and why. This town is too small to have an unsolved mystery."


Sandi pulled out her cell phone and pressed Peter's number. "Then tell our local stud police officer that. Here."


"Sandi! I don't want to talk to Peter!" Mindy recoiled from the telephone and then ducked as  her sister threw it at her.


"Hello?" Peter's voice floated up from the cell phone. "Sandi? What's up?"


Reluctantly, Mindy picked up the phone. "Hi, Peter. It isn't Sandi. It's Mindy."


Peter's voice brightened considerably. "Mindy! I don't believe this. I was just thinking about you. There's been a lead in the murder of Fritz Weiss."

No comments:

Post a Comment