Passion, Power, and Intrigue in An Enduring Family Drama

Monday, November 25, 2013

One Hand Washes the Other

There were times when Rex was pretty sure that it would be easier to just go out and get a regular job instead of trying to figure out ways to shake loose Mavis Schuyler's money tree. Her latest scheme, that he break up her son's relationships with that cold fish Claudine, was not going well. For starters, Rex still wasn't clear if Mavis wanted him to come between Claudine and Brad in a romantic sense or if she wanted him to whack Claudine. It was a point that he needed to clear up.

"Rex? Where are you?" Tiffany entered the living room and found Rex sprawled in his recliner, deep in thought. "What are you doing?"

"Thinking."

Tiffany laughed. "Why would you waste your time doing that? Come on, let's go to the mall."

"Tif, your aunt is leaning on me to get rid of Claudine. I told you about that."

Tiffany sat down next to him. "So what?"

"Well, with the holidays coming, I could use the dough she wants to pay me but I'm not entirely comfortable with the whole thing."

"Why not? I want a very special Christmas together since this is our first major holiday together."

"Suppose she wants me to get rid of Claudine permanently? It might be our last major holiday together."

"Since when do you do whatever Aunt Mavis tells you to do? Just tell her you tried, make her give you the money and forget about it. It's not like she can turn you into the police. She's the one who hired you to do something illegal. Or at least unethical."

Rex scratched his chin thoughtfully. "Somehow I can't see your aunt agreeing with you. She'll do anything to get that Claudine chick away from your cousin. She's going to want me to do something."

Tiffany screwed up her own face in thought. "I know. I'll tell Brad that I saw you making out with Claudine at that burger place over near the high school. He'll believe me, he'll dump Claudine and you'll get paid!"

"But Claudine will say you're lying."

"Who is my cousin going to believe? His stupid fiancee or his own flesh and blood?"

"He's in love with his stupid fiancee," Rex said. "You two aren't all that close."

"Well, for Pete's sake!" Tiffany leaned back against the sofa cushions and pouted. "Are you going to spend all day thinking about this? I really need to get to the mall!"

"Oh, all right. I guess I can think in the food court."

After putting on their winter coats, Rex pulled open the front. Standing in the hallway was Claudine, Brad's girlfriend and the person Rex was supposed to get rid of. "Claudine!" Rex said, forcing a note of friendliness into his voice, "What are you doing here?"

"I need your help," Claudine replied. "Now."

No comments:

Post a Comment