Passion, Power, and Intrigue in An Enduring Family Drama

Monday, October 28, 2013

Common Law Marriage

Someone new has arrived in Schuyler Square. Larry Markham has blown into town looking for his wife, Claudine. Larry apparently doesn't know that Claudine has gotten herself engaged to Brad Schuyler and it's a safe bet that he has no idea that she's also actively pursuing Tyler Schuyler, her future brother-in-law. Larry's arrival, needless to say, is not a welcome surprise to his wife...

Instantly Carrie and Larry were on their feet and rushing to help the out cold Claudine. "Oh, my gosh! She's as white as a sheet!"

"I knew she wouldn't be thrilled to see me but I didn't expect that dramatic of a reaction." Kneeling next to Claudine, Larry began gently patting her on the face.

"Is she all right?" Carrie asked. "Should I call for an ambulance?"

Claudine blinked her eyes slowly. Suddenly she opened them wide, looked up at the man bending over her and screamed loudly. "What are you doing here? How did you find me?" Struggling, she sat up.

Rocking back on his heels, Larry grinned at her. "Glad to see that you're all right, babe. Of course I found you. You're my wife, aren't you?"

"Your common law wife," Claudine corrected through gritted teeth. "That doesn't count."

"Sure it does. You lived with me for ten years, took my last name, shared my bed every night. That makes you my Mrs. in my book."

Slowly Claudine got to her feet, one hand rubbing the side of her head. "Ohhhh, I'm sure I have a concussion thanks to you! Why are you here, Larry? I never wanted to see you again!"

"Yeah, I kind of figured that when you cut up all my clothes and left my dog at the Humane Society. That wasn't very nice, Claudine. I had to spend over two hundred bucks getting Fluffy back."

"Like I care," Claudine muttered.

"I know you don't care. Truth to be told, I'm pretty much over you too."

Claudine stopped rubbing her head. "Then why are you here?"

Larry's bright blue eyes narrowed. "You know why, babe. I'm here because of your old man."

Claudine paled once again. "Get out," she hissed. "Now."

"Can't do that. We've got things to talk about.

Carrie's eyes darted back and forth between Larry and Claudine. This was the most exciting coffee break that she'd had since she had started working for the Schuyler's.

No comments:

Post a Comment