Passion, Power, and Intrigue in An Enduring Family Drama

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pinky and the Brain

Mindy stood in the bathroom of her apartment putting the final touches on her make up. She was dressed for her date with Fritz, her hair was done and she felt as worn out and exhausted as a dishrag that had just finished washing all of the dishes for the Marines.

Tyler appeared in the doorway and whistled. "Looking good, Mindy. Are we going out tonight?"

"I'm going out. With Fritz."

Tyler frowned. "That old bald dude from work? What are you going out with him for?"

"Well, for starters because he asked me. Also because Fritz knows everything about Fat Off and I'm going to get him to share with me." Mindy leaned forward and added some blush. "He already told me that to get Fat Off to stop smelling requires a huge negative environmental impact. I want to find out if Bernard Morton is going to try to go through with it anyway."

"How could he?" Tyler questioned. "Wouldn't that be illegal?"

"Since when has that ever stopped anyone who is chasing a buck?" Mindy asked. Stepping back from the mirror she studied her reflection and sighed. Not her best but it was going to have to do. Turning, she eyed her boyfriend. "Have you applied for that job yet--the one as Fritz's assistant?"

"Mindy, we've gone over this. I don't know anything about science."

"Do you think that I do? Tyler, you need to fake these things."

"How could I possibly fake something like that?"

"That's up to you," Mindy replied. "Look, Tyler, if I can sacrifice an evening to spend it with Fritz, I think the very least you can do is try and help me. Don't you care at all about the environment?"

"Sure I do but you have to admit that Fat Off sounds like a pretty amazing product."

"What would be the point of being skinny if the environment was going down the tubes?"

"I'll put my application in tomorrow," Tyler promised. "Maybe I should come along to dinner for you. I could  get to know Fritz."

"We don't want him to know that we know each other," Mindy pointed out. Honestly, there were times when she felt like she was part of Pinky and the Brain and she sure as heck wasn't playing the part of Pinky. "All right, I'll be back later. Don't wait up for me."

Tyler put a cautious hand on her arm. "Are you sure this is safe? You don't think Fritz will make a move on you, do you?"

Mindy laughed. "He couldn't possibly make any more moves on me that Bernard Morton already has. Don't worry, Tyler. I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself."

But as she walked out to her car, a wave of exhaustion washed over her. That was the problem; she was tired of taking care of everything and everyone. She was also tired of taking care of herself. In a nutshell, Mindy Cooper was plain tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment