Passion, Power, and Intrigue in An Enduring Family Drama

Thursday, November 29, 2012

First Day on the New Job Jitters


Tyler Schuyler smiled at his girlfriend, Mindy Cooper. “Surprised?”

“Dumbfounded is more like it. Why are you here?”

“I just got hired by Kutrate Kemicals,” Tyler replied.

“As what?”

“As a factory worker. I’m going to be on the line.”

Getting to her feet, Mindy scooted around her desk and ran to slam Bernard Morton’s door shut. “Are you out of your mind?” she demanded.

Tyler was hurt. “I thought you’d be happy that I work here. Now I can help you find out what’s going on and we can eat lunch together. Doesn’t that sound like fun?”

“No, Tyler, it doesn’t sound like fun. It sounds like a train wreck. You don’t know a thing about chemicals or working in a factory. You don’t know that much about working in general. How did you ever get HR to hire you?”

“I slipped the guy interviewing me a $100,” Tyler confided. “And you can stop getting your knickers in a knot. I’ve thought this whole thing through: I’ll work at Kutrate Kemicals for a week or two, find out what’s going on that’s such a big freaking secret, tell you and then we both can quit just in time to go to Aspen for Christmas.”

“It’s going to take you longer than a week or two to find out what’s going on,” Mindy argued. “Suppose you get hurt or killed while you’re working here? Your mother would never forgive me!”

“Mother has no clue that I’m working here,” Tyler said. “Besides, even if something does happen to me—which it won’t—she won’t be mad. She likes it when I show initiative.”

“Well, I hate it when you show initiative! Your job is to me my boyfriend and take me out to dinner where I want to go!”

“Mindy, I’d like to be more to you than that.”

Bernard Morton’s office door opened. “What’s going on out here, Mindy?”

Mindy’s face turned red. “I was just telling this man where to go.”

“Who are you?” Bernard asked Tyler.

“Steve Smith,” Tyler replied proudly. “I’m starting on the floor today at this fine company.”

“Then what the hell are you doing in my office? Get out of here and get to work. I’m not paying you to stand around.” Glaring at Tyler, Bernard retreated back into his office. A moment later, he buzzed Mindy. “Is that idiot gone yet?”

“Tell him I’m leaving right now,” Tyler whispered. He dropped a kiss on Mindy’s cheek before he left. “It’s going to be fun helping you bring that jerk down.”

“Tyler,” Mindy said but Tyler vanished before she could finish her sentence. Retracing his steps from the president’s office to Kutrate Kemical’s entrance hall, Tyler felt good. No, he felt great. Like a man instead of a little boy. He couldn’t wait to get to work and show Mindy that he knew exactly what he was doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment