Passion, Power, and Intrigue in An Enduring Family Drama

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Schuyler Square Day 56 Comfort Food

"I don't freaking believe this! First my mom dies in a car accident and now Uncle Ron is killed? What--is there a curse on the Schuyler family?"

Rosanne did her best to comfort Tiffany Schuyler although she was in shock herself. True, she didn't exactly love her late boss. She didn't respect him either. She didn't even like him but that didn't mean she wanted to see him dead. Only a nutcase would wish that kind of ending on another human being. "I'm sorry, Tiffany. I know that doesn't help very much but I really am sorry."

Tiffany blew her nose loudly. "Great. The cleaning lady is sorry for me. So if the family curse strikes me next I'll be guaranteed at least one sincere mourner at my funeral."

"Tiffany, please don't be morbid."

"I'm not being morbid but you're right, Rosanne, know you feel sorry for me doesn't help. What would help would be if you'd trot out to the kitchen and make me something to eat. I feel like I'm about to faint from hunger. I haven't eaten for hours."

Rosanne studied the teenager's beefy build and silently doubted that Tiffany could faint from hunger for at least a month, possibly two. But after reminding herself that Tiffany was only 16 and couldn't be expected to have any manners considering her background and upbringing, she began to walk toward the kitchen. "I could make you a nice cup of tea," she said. A nice cup of zero calorie tea, she silently added.

"Tea? Why would I want tea? I want FOOD, Rosanne! Like a bacon cheeseburger or some tacos! I'm in the middle of an extremely traumatic experience and you expect me to get by on a lousy cup of tea? What are you, British or something? This isn't World War II with the Nazis bombing us! This is Schuyler Square, Illinois and I'm very upset--"

Rosanne let the kitchen door swing shut behind her, effectively blocking out Tiffany's verbal rampage. Thank goodness this house was built so solidly. If Rosanne was able to hear everything the members of the Schuyler family said from the kitchen she would have had to quit her job and start selling Avon products or Amway a long time ago.

Quickly she put together a hamburger patty and tossed it into a frying pan. Comfort food. Well, who could blame Tiffany? The kid needed a little comfort right about now. Might as well make several. Tyler will be hungry too. And Mavis.


Not that Tyler or Mavis would be interested in bacon cheeseburgers. Mavis subsisted on coffee and perhaps three tablespoons of brown rice per day and Tyler had never been a burger fan. He was more into sushi. When Brad had lived at home he had preferred anything covered with caviar or ketchup. And of course Ron Schuyler liked only liquid diets--like the All Scotch Diet. It was like being a short order cook at a group home for wealthy neurotics.

Rosanne shook her head. What a messed up group. And now the leader of it had bit the dust. Kicked the bucket. Gone to that great stock market seat in the sky. What was going to happen to everyone now that Ron was dead?

Rosanne's cell phone rang. She looked at the caller i.d. with relief. Her husband. Finally, a sane person to talk to.

"You should come home," Mike said immediately. "Ron Schuyler was murdered and Mavis was kidnapped. It has to be the same person. I don't want you in that house by yourself."

"I'm not by myself. Tiffany is here."

Mike snorted. "Yeah, she'd be a great help if a crazed killer came after you. That one is really Miss Responsibility."

"A crazed killer isn't going to come after me. Why would he?"

"Or she."

Rosanne thought about that. She supposed that whoever killed Ron could have been a woman. Heaven knew that he'd dallied with enough of them over the years. "Or she," she amended. "Seriously, Mike, I'm fine. I want to stay here until Mavis gets home."

"Is Tyler there?"

"No. Tiffany hasn't heard from him either. I'm not sure if he knows his dad is dead."

"He must know. The whole town is buzzing about it."

"All the more reason why I shouldn't leave. I'll be home soon, honey. Don't worry about me."

"If you're not here in an hour, I'm coming to the house," Mike responded.

Rosanne hung up the phone. Mike was sweet to worry about her. They had a good marriage and she appreciated that. She couldn't imagine having a marriage like the one Mavis and Ron had. Or used to have.

The back door opened. Rosanne looked up, holding her breath. She hoped it was Mavis but if it was Tyler, she hoped he knew about his dad. Breaking the news of Ron Schuyler's murder went way beyond what was listed on her job description.

1 comment:

  1. Who killed Ron? I'm betting on Chelsea!

    ReplyDelete